Bargain Properties has Berkeley Vacation Rentals and Berkeley Hotels for your next vacation.
Find the Perfect Cheap Hotels and Cheap Car Rentals in Berkeley
Berkeley in California.
Berkeley is a city on the east shore of the San Francisco Bay in Northern California, United States. Its neighbors to the south are the cities of Oakland and Emeryville. To the north is the city of Albany and the unincorporated community of Kensington. The eastern city limits coincide with the county line (bordering Contra Costa County), which generally follows the ridge line of the Berkeley Hills. Berkeley is located in northern Alameda County.
Berkeley is the site of the University of California, Berkeley, the oldest of the University of California system, and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. It is also home to the Graduate Theological Union. The city is noted as one of the most politically liberal in the nation, with one study placing it as the third most liberal city in the United States.
Points of interest
* University of California, Berkeley
* Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
* Berkeley Marina
* Berkeley History Center (1931 Center St.)
* Berkeley Public Library (Shattuck Avenue at Kittridge Street)
* Berkeley Repertory Theatre
* Berkeley Rose Garden
* Cloyne Court Hotel, a member of the Berkeley Student Cooperative
* Hearst Greek Theatre (home of the annual Berkeley Jazz Festival)
* Judah L. Magnes Museum
* Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
* Lawrence Hall of Science
* Regional Parks Botanic Garden
* Tilden Regional Park
* University of California Botanical Garden
Other notable places include:
* The Campanile (Sather Tower) in the University of California, Berkeley campus.
* Telegraph Avenue and People's Park, both known as centers of the counterculture of the 1960s.
* Chez Panisse - founded in 1971 and the birthplace of California cuisine.
* Cody's Books - founded in 1956 and closed in 2008, Cody's was "a pioneer in bookselling, bringing the paperback revolution to Berkeley, fighting censorship, and providing a safe harbor from teargas for student activists during the Free Speech Movement and throughout the 1960s and 70s."
* The Freight and Salvage - founded in 1968, this is a nonprofit musical performance venue that primarily hosts folk music and world music acts
* The Cheese Board - founded in 1967/71, this business comprises two collectively owned and operated businesses.
* Whole Earth Access - founded in 1969 and closed in 1998, this was initially established as a countercultural retail store inspired by Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Catalog.
* The Claremont Resort - founded in 1906, this historic site was originally the Claremont Hotel. Although the main hotel building lies entirely within the city limits of adjacent Oakland, a portion of the grounds lie within Berkeley, and the resort uses this for its street address.
* 924 Gilman - founded in 1986, this is an all-ages, non-profit, collectively organized music club where Berkeley natives Operation Ivy, Pansy Division, Green Day, Rancid, Tiger Army and AFI started out.
* The Other Change of Hobbit - A Science Fiction and Fantasy bookstore first opened in 1977.
* Caffe Mediterraneum - Birthplace of the caffe latte in 1959 - invented by owner Lino Meiorin. Allen Ginsberg wrote part of Howl at "Caffe Med."
* the Berkeley Free Clinic, a free clinic operating since 1969.
* Habitot Children's Museum, a hands-on discovery museum for young children, since 1998. [www.habitot.org]
* Jewish Music Festival – March
* Cal Day University of California, Berkeley Open House – April
* Berkeley Arts Festival – April and May
* Himalayan Fair – May
* Berkeley Kite Festival – late July weekend
* How Berkeley Can You Be!? Parade and Festival – September
* Solano Stroll – September
People who read this page on Vacation Rentals, were also interested in the following Vacation Rentals pages:
Downey, California Vacation Rentals - Downieville, California Vacation Rentals - Elk Grove, California Vacation Rentals - El Monte, California Vacation Rentals - Escondido, California Vacation Rentals - Fairfield, California Vacation Rentals